The Ins and Outs of a Digital Marketing Career
A career in digital marketing offers professionals from all walks of life an opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the exciting world of digital. Although the discipline is a relative newcomer in comparison to more traditional marketing methods, the rise of the Internet has seen it quickly establish itself as the weapon of choice for businesses wanting to unlock their online potential.
As the sector has continued to enjoy explosive growth, so too has the demand for creative, analytical and versatile digital marketing professionals. Whether you’re only just embarking on your professional career or are looking to shake things up with a much-needed career switch, there are many reasons why a digital career might be the right choice for you.
In this article, we’ll be taking a closer look at the benefits, skills and specialisms associated with a digital marketing career, as well as discussing some of the ways in which you can break into the industry for yourself. Let’s get started.
The Benefits of a Digital Marketing Career
People are drawn to a digital marketing career for many different reasons. Having said that, many digital marketing roles offer a number of key benefits, which include:
Strong career prospects
As more and more people are beginning to purchase a significant portion of their products and services online, it’s no surprise that businesses have begun to allocate more of their resources towards online marketing. As a result, a career in digital marketing offers strong career prospects.
A 2018 report by McKinley Marketing Partners found that demand for marketing talent was higher than the supply, and 69% of companies intended to take on more marketers over the course of 2017. Moreover, almost 60% of those hires was expected to be in the area of digital marketing specifically, which is good news for those wanting to get their foot in the door.
As an umbrella term for a wide variety of specialisms, digital marketing offers many different areas to choose from. Although there’s plenty of scope to take on a more generalist role, potential areas digital marketers could focus on include:
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Paid Search Marketing (PPC)
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Digital Strategy
- Web Development & Design
The above is just a small selection of some of the main pillars of digital marketing. The world of online marketing is incredibly diverse, making it an attractive choice for those in search of variety.
Unleash your creativity
Creativity is one of the main strengths many digital marketers have in common. Whether you’re directly unleashing your creativity through creating content or are simply looking to find creative ways to communicate your message online, digital marketing offers many avenues through which to think outside of the box.
… or go fully analytical
Data analytics is the main driver in informing marketers which approaches are working and which ones aren’t. For this reason, many digital marketing jobs are being done by professionals with a passion for data analysis.
If you enjoy the thrill of seeing patterns emerge, taking action and watching your strategy improve over time, you may well be a digital marketer in the making. From tracking data to A/B testing and everything in between, the role of data in digital marketing looks set to become even bigger in the years to come.
Be at the forefront of a growing industry
The digital marketing world is in a constant flux, and new and exciting developments are taking place all the time. Whether it be the most recent update to a search engine algorithm or the growing role of virtual reality (VR), modern marketers are having to constantly monitor the latest trends in order to stay relevant.
Whilst these continual changes may be enough to deter some potential candidates, most successful digital marketers relish this specific industry characteristic. Having the opportunity to be at the forefront of an ever-changing industry can be incredibly exciting, and significant rewards lie in wait for those who are able to make the best of it.
Exposure to different skill sets
The variety of digital marketing roles on offer means that most digital marketers will be regularly exposed to different types of skill sets. Whether you’re working in an agency environment or as part of an in-house marketing department, odds are you’ll be working alongside professionals working in many different areas.
If, for example, you’re involved with delivering a web project, it’s likely that you’ll be exposed to web developers, SEO professionals, content specialists, UX designers and more. This offers a wealth of opportunity for you to learn from colleagues’ unique skill sets and experiences, helping you to develop wide-ranging expertise.
What Skills Do I Need?
So, you have your heart set on landing a job in digital marketing, but what specific skills do you need? Whilst a digital marketing qualification may prove to be beneficial, practical skills are equally important in helping you make your move into the industry. Common skills that may come in handy include:
- A balance between creativity and analytical thinking
- A capability to build relationships
- Sales skills The ability to tell a story
- An understanding of basic concepts relating to web development (for example HTML) Adaptability
There is no single skill set suited to a career as a digital marketer; different strengths will be required to succeed depending on the role in question. Much like every other area of marketing, what really matters is that you demonstrate a passion for establishing an authentic connection with your target audience.
Tips on Starting Your Digital Marketing Career
If you’re still keen on beginning your career as a digital marketer, here are some closing tips that may help maximise your chances:
- Brush up on the essentials: familiarising yourself with the main areas of digital marketing will help you gain a clearer understanding of how each discipline works together, as well as helping you to identify any primary interests.
- Network: Getting involved in networking is useful advice for breaking into any sector, and digital marketing is no different. Meeting industry professionals face to face can play an important role in building the connections needed to land you your first digital marketing job. At the same time, you’ll be able to paint a much clearer picture of what a digital marketing position may entail for you.
- Get certified: If you’re looking to put some weight behind your expertise, getting yourself certified can help you demonstrate a concrete understanding of the sector. You may want to start with the courses offered by the Google Academy for Ads, which offers free training on many of the core subjects.
- Don’t stop learning: As the world of digital marketing is changing with each passing day, it pays to stay updated with the most important developments. Platforms such as the Search Engine Journal, HubSpot, the Content Marketing Institute and Moz offer a wide range of useful resources to help you do it, so make sure to take a look at them.
Want to Learn More? Get In Touch
If you would like to learn more about our digital marketing agency, or to learn more about career opportunities in digital marketing, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Champions Digital via firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, speak to a member of our team directly on 0845 331 30 31.